Drones in Agriculture Years 5-6 –
A complete STEM resource covering Design and Technologies – Food and Fibre production and Engineering, Digital Technologies, Science and Mathematics learning activities.
Drones and geospatial technologies are increasingly becoming a part of the toolkit for farmers, graziers and agricultural professionals alongside tractors and traditional agricultural technologies. Drones can monitor plants and animals, plant seeds, deliver precise amounts of chemicals to help deal with pests such as weeds, and even herd animals! Paired with machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI), they can provide data to farmers so specific actions can be undertaken to improve plant and animal management.
Students will learn about drones in agriculture and design, plant and monitor a mobile vegetable garden using learning processes including the Technologies design process, scientific inquiry and mathematical modelling.
What’s in the pack? Explanatory video,
- understand how drones are used in agriculture to monitor and precisely treat plants in managed environments
- design a managed garden bed to grow healthy food
- determine which environmental factors affect the survival of plants in a controlled experiment
- collect, analyse and visualise data on plant growth
- calculate areas for each crop and determine flight path for the drone
- plan and implement a microdrone flight over the garden plot to simulate monitoring and precision spray.
Lesson Sequence, Assessment Rubrics, Activity Sheets, StoryMap, Curriculum Map, and Teacher Notes.
Read our blog
post that shares more information about the resource.
All units of work designed and created by She Maps are linked to the Australian Curriculum across multiple learning areas both inside and outside the STEM-identified subjects. By using these programs you help to equip your students with the necessary STEM skills and knowledge that will enable them to engage with the careers of the future. Working in collaboration with schools we set out to achieve the five strategies of action outlined in the Australian STEM education strategy.
Please note this virtual resource will be available for download as soon as we have received your purchase order / payment.